Pom Pom (Paper) Cannon
Target Audience Minimum Age
Target Audience Maximum Age
Duration in Minutes
As a result of participating in the program, participants will understand the dynamics of air pressure, how to create a vacuum and launch a projectile using air pressure.
Less than $2 per participant, depending on how many participants and number of items you have on hand.
Materials/Costs in $
- $7 for 30 latex balloons- http://www.amazon.com/100-Latex-Balloons-Assorted-Colors/dp/B00KJHCU2U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1433815122&sr=8-7&keywords=latex+balloons
- 30 paper cups- on hand (donated)
- Pompoms- on hand
- Masking tape- on hand
- Scissors- on hand
- Vortex cannon and supplies- on hand
- Laptop, cable, projector- on hand
Prep Time in Minutes
- Planning: 30 minutes
- Purchase supplies: 30 minutes
- Preparing Supplies: 30 minutes to make a sample
Number of attendees and engagement of children
Set up tables and chairs. Have children collect one cup, two or three pompoms and one balloon each. Have scissors and masking tape on tables waiting to be used.
Show children a demonstration of our vortex canon and the video. Now that they understand the science behind why their canon will work, they will create their own version of the cannon, shooting pompoms instead of smoke.
First children will cut a small hole in the bottom of the cups. Next they will cut the neck off the balloon, stretch the balloon over the lip of the cup and tape it down (partners are recommended). Once all students are finished, they will stand behind a table and experiment to see how far their pompoms will shoot.